Saturday, January 29, 2011

The bravest people in the world

The bravest people in the world (again, this is just my current opinion, open to changing) are those that have accepted the idea that they will cease to exist after death. Rather, I should amend this by saying that the bravest people in the world are those that have accepted that they are not going to exist after death and still live their lives as contributing members to society. I love reading Irv Yalom's published works and seeing how he is completely at peace with non existence and still serves his fellow man. So peaceful atheists are in this category. Another group that is in this category are believers and followers of A Course in Miracles. I must say that I spent a good deal of time with a Course study group and found that some of them, obviously not all, used the whole "this is just a dream that I'm going to wake up from whereupon I will cease to exist and join with the all encompassing love" as an excuse to not work through their baggage, or practice self improvement. But those who live it as it is intended are the bravest in the world. I was only 1/3 of the way through The Disappearance of the Universe before I put it down like it was radioactive. I myself have gone to the edge of my perception of reality, looked upon the gaping maw that is the end of my "self" and decided I wasn't brave enough to accept that as truth. I still find peace and contentment in the idea that "I" will exist after death. Kudos to those of you who have embraced non existence and are at peace and contributing members to society. :)

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say I was a contributing member of society just yet =P. I do think that a great deal of religious thought is a result of the mind's abhorrence of the concept of oblivion, the contemplation of which would wake me in a cold sweat when I was a teen. I have mellowed considerably since working through this idea and while I don't believe it inevitable I have accepted the possibility. It seems tied up with the desire for certainty and the inability to leave the unknown as the unknown. I'm perfectly content to find out eventually (Or in the case of oblivion, not at all) but I'm also very content with being wrong, how else could I learn anything? The aversion to being incorrect, the desire for certainty and the inability to leave the unknown as is all combine in the exclusive thinker. All just my opinion, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My body will cease to exist, certainly. And I have to admit that, unfortunately, so will my consciousness. It is unsettling, to say the least, but I didn't ask to be born, and I'm glad I'm here, and in the final battle for meaning before my eventual death, whenever and however that will be. Life is good in some ways, bad in others, and I have a lot of regrets about what I didn't achieve. But I don't seem to be dead yet, so maybe I'll still achieve some of my goals...

    ReplyDelete